APTA is pleased to offer several scholarship opportunities to members to encourage and reward continuing education. The application deadline for all scholarships is July 15, 2022. Successful applicants will be presented with their awards at the APTA Conference banquet in September.
Applications for the following five scholarships will be reviewed in complete confidentiality by a highly qualified third-party judge. These scholarships will only be awarded once per individual.
- Alberta Nerbas Memorial Scholarship for First-Time Conference attendee ($245)
- Artisan Table Full Conference Scholarship (app. $425)
- Bronwyn Schuman Modelling Musical Stewardship Scholarship ($500)
- Long & McQuade Scholarship for Continuing Education ($300)
- Long & McQuade Music Scholarship ($200)
- Piano Centre (Steinway & Sons) Performance Scholarship ($300)
The following scholarships are available to all APTA members* and are awarded on the basis of marks taken in exams with Conservatory Canada, the Royal Conservatory of Music or the Canadian National Conservatory of Music within the twelve months prior to the application deadline.
- History Scholarship ($250) – Seeking donor
Awarded to the applicant with the highest exam mark (minimum 90%) in History.
- Michele Tamtom Advanced Theory Scholarship ($250)
Awarded to the applicant with the highest exam mark (minimum 80%) in Harmony, Counterpoint, or Analysis.
- Veronica Weber Advanced Practical Exam Scholarship ($250)
Awarded to the applicant with the highest exam mark in a grade 9, 10, ARCT Conservatory Canada, Royal Conservatory of Music, or Canadian National Conservatory of Music practical exam (minimum 80%).
- Mary Reynolds/Juanita Stauffer Written Pedagogy Scholarship ($250)
Awarded to the applicant with the highest exam mark in a Written Pedagogy exam (minimum 80%).
- Gloria Gillett/Evelyn Onciul Viva Voce Scholarship ($250)
Awarded to the applicant with the highest mark in the Viva Voce part of the Teacher’s exam (minimum 80%).
How to Apply:
If you are not an active member of the Alberta Piano Teachers Association, click here to purchase or renew your membership. Memberships run from July 1 to June 30 annually. Scholarships are awarded to members, not students of members.
If you are an active member, go to the member login page. In the APTA Programs menu, choose Scholarships applications from the dropdown menu. This page will load again and you can click here for the online application form. Please attach:
- A brief biography. For the successful candidate, this information will be used for the scholarship presentation at conference and the newsletter write up;
- A copy of the official exam results within a 12 month period (summer, winter or spring ) if required by that particular scholarship. Acceptable forms are an official exam .pdf, a screenshot of the mark from an official website, or any other verification the examining board can provide.
- A YouTube link to a recording if required by that particular scholarship.
Please submit any questions to:
51 Cranarch Rise SE
Calgary, AB T3M 1M3
Ph: (403) 605.3905