What is the Lending Library?
As part of our mandate towards continuing education, APTA has established a library of DVDs on a variety of topics related to music, music history, and piano pedagogy. Members can watch the video in their own home or host a coffee party and invite other teachers in their community to watch the video and discuss it afterwards. Many of the videos are suitable to watch with students, especially students preparing for history exams. Download and print a brochure apta-lending-library-brochure
How Much Does it Cost?
The library can be used by all APTA members. We charge a per rental fee of $6 per DVD or 2 for $10. This covers postage both ways and includes a small library maintenance fee. Payment can be made by credit card online or by cash or cheque using the rental form.
Can I Suggest a Title?
If you have a suggestion for a video you think APTA should purchase for our library, or if you have an item you would like to donate, please contact Moira Buck: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visa or MasterCard accepted
Our librarian will contact you to let you know the availability of your selection(s).
Click on individual titles for more information. Videos are on DVD unless otherwise noted.
- Gravi-DVD: Teaching Paul Wirth’s Gravity Based Piano
- Mary Gae George
Teaching Music, Not Notes
Positive Solutions to Teaching Rhythm and Technic
- Frances Clark: Her Life and Teachings (VHS)
- 3D Piano – Fred Karpoff (3 x 2 DVDs)
- Introduction to Baroque Dance
- Mastering Piano Technique – A Guide for Students, Teachers and Performers
- Performance Practices in Baroque Keyboard Music
- Performance Practices in Classical Piano Music
- Performance Practices in Romantic Piano Music
- Performance Practices in Impressionistic Piano Music
- Performance Practices in Early 20th Century Music
- Performance Practices in Late 20th Century Music
- Memorization in Piano Performance
- Freeing the Caged Bird – Barbara Lister Sink
- Piano Wellness Seminars
- The Art of Adjudicating – Saskatchewan Music Festival Association
- From the World Pedagogy Conference (2 separate lectures on 1 DVD):
- You and the Piano – Seymour Bernstein
- Colleen Athaparia Masterclass
- Nelita True at Eastman, Vol. 1: Portrait of a Pianist-Teacher
- Nelita True at Eastman, Vol. 2: The Studio Lesson
- Nelita True at Eastman, Vol. 3: Technique through Teaching
- Nelita True at Eastman, Vol. 4: Principles of Style for the Young Pianist
- Living Effortless Mastery
- The Unanswered Question: Six Talks at Harvard by Leonard Bernstein (each DVD rented separately)
Disc One: Musical Phonology
Disc Two: Musical Syntax
Disc Three: Musical Semantics
Disc Four: The Delights and Dangers of Ambiguity
Disc Five: The Twentieth Century Crisis
Disc Six: The Poetry of Earth
- Big Bangs: Howard Goodall
- Musical Minds with Dr. Oliver Sacks
- Musical Brain
- Arts and the Mind – Lisa Kudrow (PBS)
- Song of Survival
- The Art of the Piano
- The Golden Age of the Piano
- The Music Instinct: Science and Song
- Touch the Sound: A Sound Journey with Evelyn Glynnie
- El Sistema
- Breaking the Silence
- They Came to Play
Teaching Students with Special Needs / Ages
- Asperger Syndrome: A Different Mind
- ADHD for Educators
- ADHD featuring Dr. Thomas Brown
- Music and Early Childhood
- Recreational Music Making (4 DVD set)
- Bach & Friends
- In the Footsteps of Series
- Glenn Gould Life and Times
- Glenn Gould Russian Journey
- Glenn Gould Extasis
- Meet the Musicians: Scott Joplin
- Mozart (A & E Biography)
- Mozart’s Sister (Film)
- Beethoven: The Sound and the Fury (A & E Biography)
- Composer’s Specials Series
- The Great Composers: The Collection
- Great Composers: Bach
- Great Compoers: Beethoven
- Great Composers: Chopin
- Great Composers: Debussey
- Great Composers: Dvorak
- Great Composers: Handel
- Great Composers: Mendelsson
- Great Composers: Mozart
- Great Composers: Puccini
- Great Composers: Ravel
- Great Composers: Schubert
- Great Composers: Schumann
- Great Composers: Tchaikovsky
- Great Composers: Vivaldi
- LIsa Yui: 4 Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Performance and Commentary
- Luciano Pavarotti: Recital in Barcelona
- Duke Ellington, Legends of Jazz
- The Best of Richard Clayderman
- Artur Rubenstein – Historic Film of Rubinstein in Performance
- Horowitz in Moscow
- 10th Anniversary Piano Extravaganza (Verbier Festival and Academy)
Peter Ustinov reads The Orchestra (VHS)
- What Does Music Mean?
What is American Music?
What is Orchestration
- What Makes Music Symphonic?
What is Classical Music?
Humor in Music
- What is a Concerto?
Who is Gustav Mahler?
Folk Music in the Concert Hall
- What is Impressionism?
Happy Birthday, Igor Stravinsky
What is a Melody?
- The Latin American Spirit
Jazz in the Concert Hall
What is Sonata Form?
- A Tribute to Sibelius
Musical Atoms: A Study of Intervals
The Sound of an Orchestra
- A Birthday Tribute to Shostakovich
What is a Mode?
A Toast to Vienna in 3/4 Time
- Quiz – Concert: How Musical Are You?
Berlioz Takes a Trip
Two Ballet Birds
- Fidelio: A Celebration of Life
- Opera Stories – Ernani & Il Trovatore
- Opera Stories – Aida & Otello
- Opera Stories – Falstaff & La Boheme
- Opera Stories – Andrea Chenier & Manon Lescaut
- Opera Storeis – Tosca & Die Fledermaus
- The Firebird/Petrushka
- The Marriage of Figaro
- Madame Butterfly
- La Traviata
- What is Music?